Our Co-Founder and President Abby G talks about getting funding as a small business and our early struggles as a company in these 30-Second Mentor Spots.
As we now know, plastic is not so fantastic. Each year up to a trillion plastic bags are deposited into landfills where, scientists estimate, they can take up to 1,000 years to breakdown – and millions still end up in our waterways, trees and oceans.
Over 100,000 sea turtles and other marine animals die every year because they mistake plastic bags for food. As a result, many municipalities across North America have taken action by banning these plastic bags, or charging extra fees for them, and forcing consumers to switch to reusable cloth bags. Other disposable bags, like sandwich bags, are made of even thicker plastic, while free produce bags are much too flimsy and expose the scooper to a potentially disastrous poop situation.
This has left dog owners in the doghouse. What's a dog lover to do? We’ve all relied on those extra grocery bags to clean up after our pups, especially those of us with larger dogs that leave a lot more behind.
We certainly can't just leave it there?
Dog poop is not good for the environment and contains many different strains of unfriendly bacteria that can make other dogs and people sick. Yuck! We couldn't leave dog lovers down in the dumps about dumps, so now picking up poop doesn't have to be a chore. With our Earth RatedTM PoopBags, it's actually kind of nice - at only pennies per poop!
The Scoop on our Poop Bags
We know it’s a dog-eat-dog world right now in the poop bag business – there are lots of other bagmen out there. But our PoopBags are bigger, thicker, tougher and, for those days when Buddy is dragging his butt, totally leak-proof.
Here’s the “dogumentation”:
- Extra long bags, 9 x 13 inches, so you or your sleeve never make unwanted contact
- Big enough even for a Great Dane's pile
- Scented with lavender so fresh smelling – you won’t mind holding on until you properly dispose
- Professional dog walker and dog pack approved
- Comes in convenient small rolls and easily fits into all standard dispensers
- Just a few cents a scoop
Less Wasteful, Less toxic, More Responsible - One Poop at a Time
- Our packaging is made from recycled paper while our bags are conveniently dispensed on a recycled paper core instead of a plastic one.
- We make picking up poop that much nicer with our light lavender scent, leaving fewer abandoned piles to step in - and that much easier to hold on to until you can dispose of it properly.
- Our extra-strong bags mean no ripped, torn, or wasted bags when you need to deal with extraordinary poops.
While these bags meet all Canadian standards for being labelled biodegradeable, some areas of the United States have different definitions of what is a biodegradeable product. In bringing our bags to the United States, we've had to change our terminology, but our bags remain the same eco-friendly bags they always were.
What about compostable bags?
- Corn-based, these PoopBags are for those scoopers who want to go green all the way!
- Made of all natural ingredients with no enhancements to speed up the decomposition process.
- While these cost a few pennies more, they‟re made of 100% renewable resources and dissolve in as little as 40 days.
- Our compostable bags meet the gold eco-certification standard ASTM 6400, recognized & approved by the US Composting Council.